Metamorphose

Metamorphose

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

My OK Go fanboy post

So, a few months back my brother wrote a fan post on his blog for one of his favorite artists, Sara Bareilles.  Now, Sara Bareilles is talented and all, and I do respect her as an artist.  But I choose to write about musical groups that don't put my man card in danger (and I'm only writing that because my brother hates it when I talk about man cards).  So, OK Go.

Some of you may be aware that OK Go recently came out with a new music video.


Yeah.  Awesome.  I know.  I've shared it with a few people over the last few weeks, and about half the time, they're like, "Who's OK Go?"


WHAT THE HECK, PEOPLE.  And most of the other half says something like, "Wait...weren't they those people who danced on the treadmills and stuff?"


Yes.  Yes they were.  But PEOPLE.  They have done SO MUCH MORE cool things since then (which was 2006, by the way.  8 years ago).

Like this.


And this.


And freaking THIS.


PEOPLE.  They built a mile-and-a-half long instrument, and they're playing it with a car.

WITH A CAR.


Oh, and they do almost every single one of their music videos in one continuous camera shot, with the exception of the car video, and End Love, which was probably stop-motion photography.

They're coming to Salt Lake in two days, and I think it goes without saying that I can't wait to see them.

One thing that impresses me about the band is that several of these projects have brought together dozens of people to try and do something that's never been done before.  But the main reason I love OK Go so much is because they take creativity so far beyond the limits of what anybody thought a band could do.  I'm pretty sure at some point during the making of one or more of these music videos, somebody came up to them and said, "Um, isn't this pretty much impossible?"  "This is never, NEVER going to work."  "You've tried this, like, 40 times already, why don't you just give up?"  "Why are you buying 280 guitars and 55 pianos to make this music video?"

And they just do it anyway.  They never say it, but everything they do sends the message that creativity doesn't have limits.  There shouldn't be anybody who says, "You can't do this."  There shouldn't be anybody who says that something you created has broken the rules of creativity.  Because there are none.

No comments:

Post a Comment